FIRST TIME TO MEDIBANK ICEHOUSE
If you are preparing for your first Medibank Icehouse adventure, here is a quick guide for first time skaters.
If you’ve never been ice skating before, or you’re just looking for a refresher, Medibank Icehouse offer FREE 15 minute beginner lessons. Pull on your ice skates and let our Ice Ambassadors teach you the basics before you glide off to join the Public Skating. Taking part in a lesson will give you the confidence to maximise your experience. You will learn skills including:
- Falling down and getting up - it’s all part of learning
- Stomping/walking, balance and stopping – to get you moving (and stopping)
- Dips, swizzles, gliding and basic backwards skating – you’ll look like a professional in no time
Duration: 15 minutes
*Lesson numbers are limited, participants are accepted on a first in basis.
Car: Medibank Icehouse is situated across the road from Harbour Town Shopping Centre, at the northern end of Docklands. Take the Footscray Road, Docklands exit off the Bolte Bridge, travelling in an east-bound direction, simply turn right at Costco. If travelling west-bound along Footscray Road, enter Pearl River Road directly, turn left after Costco.
Car Park pricing*:
First hour: $3
1-4 hours: $7
4-24 hours: $10
Tram: Take the free City Circle tram (from Flinders street or La Trobe Street) direct to the Waterfront City, Docklands stop. Tram 70 (via Flinders Street) and Tram 86 (via Bourke Street) will also take you to the Waterfront City, Docklands stop. Medibank Icehouse is only a 5 minute from the last stop. Pearl River Road is at the set of traffic lights just past the tram stop.
Address: 105 Pearl River Road, Docklands
Melways Ref: 2E D3
ICE SKATE HIRE
Before you hit the ice you just need one essential item – your ice skates! There are two types of skates, Figure Skates (standard) and Hockey Skates. The choice is up to you! What's the difference?
Standard figure skates - $5
Figure skates have a toe pick at the front and are the standard skate you are given unless you opt for Hockey Skates.
Hockey skates - $7
Hockey skates are more sturdy and don't have a toe pick at the front. Many first timers find this better to learn in.
Hockey skate upgrade - $2
If you hire Standard Skates and decide you would like to try Hockey Skates you can upgrade for just $2.
Smallest - kid’s size 7
Largest - adult’s 14
WHAT TO WEAR
Before you leave home you will need to know what to wear. The air temperature in Medibank Icehouse is a mild 16 degrees, it is best to dress snug. Comfortable, warm clothes are recommended:
- Jeans, track suit or leggings
- T-shirt and jumper are a good idea. Beanies are also a good idea, and gloves are highly recommended, especially for children.
- A good pair of long socks are essential. Don’t worry if you forget them sports socks are available to purchase when you get here.
Layering your clothes is also advised – although you may feel cold when you arrive, a few laps around the rink will get you warm in no time. With world class ice quality there are no puddles which means you won’t require a change of clothes.
Medibank Icehouse provides 3 hour lockers at a cost of $3 per locker, for storage of any personal belongings while you’re having a skate.
WHEN YOU ARRIVE
- The first thing you need to do is purchase your ticket and a locker token from the front desk.
- Once inside Medibank Icehouse, you will be directed to the Skate Hire area to be fitted for skates. After collecting your skates, go to the locker area and lock up your belongings.
- Make your way over to the ice rink, enter via any of the open gates and get ready to have some fun!
- If you have children who want to skate but you aren’t keen to get on the ice yourself, you do not have to accompany them on the ice. However, we do require that children under the age of six must be accompanied by either a parent, or an older child.
- Skate Aids - a support devised to help first-time skaters on the ice - are also available for rent at the Ticketing Counter or at Skate Hire, prices start at $3 for a half hour rental public skating and identification must be left as a deposit.
- It is recommended that all children under the age of 12 are supervised by a parent or guardian. A spectator-only fee of $4 will be charged for parents and guardians who are not skating, this includes a free coffee.
- Medibank Icehouse has a fully functioning cafe serving delicious hot food, snacks and drinks, therefore it is a policy of Medibank Icehouse that no external food and beverages be brought into and consumed in the venue.
*The car park is not operated by Medibank Icehouse and therefore prices are
subject to change without notice.